View Single Post
Old 12-19-2012, 07:17 PM   #18 (permalink)
order99
EcoModding Apprentice

I'm not sure which method they're talking about either-but the egg-crate version would be super-fast on the assembly line-

1) Stamp-cut the pattern on a die (1 sheet per second=1 helmet). Hand-off.
2) Hand-assemble helmet (2 minutes or less unskilled, 1 minute with proper training and an assembly form). Hand-off.
3) Carefully lift helmet from form, place on brim and use hot-glue gun to anchor brim to helmet and prevent slippage of parts, using dots of only 1mm or less (1 minute). Hand-off.
4)Stretch thin nylon cover over helmet and tuck, staple(1 minute).Place helmet upside down in waxed release mold, 20 to the batch.
5) Spray gun with two hoses, epoxy and hardener, thinned enough to atomize and mix midair in spray (less than 1 minute per batch). Leave in warehouse a minimum of 45 minutes.
6) Inspect, flip into different mold, treat exterior of helmet with spray epoxy(2 minutes due to increased surface and angles).Leave 45 minutes or more.
7) Inspect, transfer to paint rack for multiple enamel coats which act as filler for low spots(2 minutes).Leave 12 hours.
8) Inspect, scuff,re-inspect and send to booth for final coat(10 minutes).Cure 12 hours.
9) Spray adhesive and place interior foam inserts, package and allow adhesive to set during shipping(3 minutes).

The monobloc version will be much more labor and time intensive, I suspect-I am unfamiliar with any automated processes that would be able to accurately layer board in the necessary patterns and each layer would need to set while the next was added. Also, cardboard does not injection mold the way polymers do. The best I can come up with is-

1) Layer and press corrugated logs/blocks under pressure and seal.
2) Use CNC to cut helmets from logs, constantly reclaiming the MASSIVE waste for recycling back to pulp.
3) Run helmet through epoxy spray, keeping in mind that only the first 4mm or so would be soaked through-the corrugated board would provide protection regardless.
4) Steps 4 through 9 as listed for the egg-crate version.

From an economic/manufacturing standpoint, I think the egg-crate wins. From a performance standpoint however, I think the monobloc would be safer as the entire surface area of the latter has no reinforced 'ribs' to possibly punch through the liner as the egg-crate might under the right circumstances.

Love the Bonsai trike BTW-but one accident and you'd have to grow a new frame from scratch or deal with an ugly splice-and epoxy repair...