View Single Post
Old 06-13-2008, 10:22 PM   #29 (permalink)
FX2.3
Saving Those Greenbacks

Snowy - '02 Ford Ranger XL
90 day: 23.29 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by quik666777 View Post
wondering for the short term before you put on the rear cover, if you or anyone else in these forums has done the covered cab vs. no cab vs. tailgate up vs. tailgate down vs. no tailgate. vs. mesh tailgate thing.

I remember they tested it on Mythbusters at 55mph on the highway and mesh tailgate was the winner (full cab was too much weight, tailgate up or mesh/web tailgate was winner apparently made a big smooth air bubble in the back of the truck). No idea if anyone has better results or a clearer test for it in here. I'm assuming your back cover will be super lightweight and aerodynamic but while your testing and modding may be something to think about that seems very quick and easy.
I have no idea..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07b2300 View Post
Yeah that is a surprising result from tailgate up, but supposedly the bubble of air works... I haven't tested, I need my canopy. But it does rake down a little on the back end. It didn't seem to affect my mpgs even though it weighs at least 50 lbs.

Hey, since the tailgate up works because it makes an air bubble, I wonder if one did the same in reverse--put an air dam under the back bumper like an upsidedown tailgate, and then make a dam around the sides and and under the front like one big flat edged box--I wonder if it would trap air into a bubble like the mythbusters test. Of course it would be harder to test with styrofoam or ping pong balls! But it would be a heck of a lot easier than trying to put some kind of pan under the entire truck.

Neat aerodynamic ideas there FX2.3, but by the time you have a different nose and different tail you might as well just buy a prius! But I'd love to have a canopy like that! It would be really neat to have some tent material under the section that angles back and when one tilts it up, voila, a westfalia ranger all ready for camping!
I use a powerwasher to see where the water goes.. cheap way to see aero and it gets the truck clean..

I am thinking of just saving the money for another project or just save it to save it. I will still do the side skirts as I have enough material, but I am to tired of spending money. Never thought I would say that, guess Im just worn out. Worked 26 hours in the last 3 days