View Single Post
Old 12-23-2012, 11:29 AM   #1 (permalink)
Recumpence
EcoModding Apprentice

My C-Max - '13 Ford C-Max SEL
Hybrid comparisons? Chime in with your experience.

Hey Guys,

My C-Max is the only hybrid I have ever owned or driven (with the exception of driving a 2010 Prius for a couple miles).

When I bought my car, I really had no idea how it would differ from other hybrids other than what I have read about it. However, I wanted to share some experiences here that I have not mentioned anywhere else and find out how other hybrids function in various conditions.

First, and this is nothing you guys have not heard yet, there is a lot of controversy regarding the EPA claims on mileage. This has been discussed at length already (http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...rid-24125.html ). So, I do not wish to regurgitate that here. My mileage is 46mpg average and I am fine with that (until warmer weather when I can install some aero mods).

Anyway, what I am mainly curious about is engine on and engine off operational characteristics of various hybrids. What I mean by that is, my C-Max has a 1.7 kwh pack IIRC. I have driven 2 uninterrupted miles on EV mode on numerous occasions. Is this good for a non plug-in? Also, it will run nearly 65mph in EV mode. On the highway, the engine will shut down on flat areas and any downhill grade what-so-ever. How do other hybrids cycle (engine to EV)?

When I look at my odometer, in 6,100 total miles driven, the car has run EV only for over 3,900 miles of that distance. So, my engine only has 2,200 miles on it.

Also, according to my scanguage, the engine will start if the climate control is on and the engine is under 136 degrees F. How do other hybrids function in this area?

I think that is it.

Oh, I have to say, driving a hybrid is very entertaining, to say the least! I love keeping tabs on what is going on with the various systems and doing my best to maximize everything. It is quite a fun hobby! I also like stopping for gas so rarely. I used to stop for gas every 2 days with my minivan. Now, I gas up once per week.

Matt

Last edited by MetroMPG; 12-23-2012 at 01:26 PM.. Reason: (added link to Ford hybrid MPG controversy thread)