View Single Post
Old 12-23-2012, 04:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Recumpence
EcoModding Apprentice

My C-Max - '13 Ford C-Max SEL
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
FYI, this is why serious hybrid hypermilers minimize use of electric assist as much as possible to get really good MPG. It sounds counter-intuitive, but avoiding the MPG hit from "forced recharging" is an important part of getting really good numbers. That means minimizing EV-mode driving, and maximizing engine-off coasting.
Yes. I have found that allowing the pack to drop too far gives a very short lived high mpg, but sacrifices long term mpg. When the pack drops too far, it takes too much engine power to bring it back up. This bears out when driving with Eco cruise. The cruise does not allow the pack to drop that far. It always tries to keep the battery at close to half charge. This eliminates the high power recharge requirement seen when the pack is quite low.

The best method I have found for high mpg is to use the engine for hill climbing and acceleration and reserve EV for flat roads with sustained speed only and not allowing the pack to drop too far. Also, knowing your terrain is super important as well. If I know there is a hill coming up in a given distance, I can tailor my driving accordingly to target optimum efficiency through using the EV when most useful and using the engine when most useful.

Matt