View Single Post
Old 12-23-2012, 08:37 PM   #25 (permalink)
slowmover
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Sorry, no towing in the above. The new TT will be in tow on the return leg this Friday or Saturday (after tires, bearing re-pack, new shocks, trailer axle alignment, etc). The TT is a 1990 model 35' Silver Streak, one of the upmarket cousins to Airstream. I've come across more than a dozen reports of those using CTD's to pull aero all aluminum TT's averaging from 14-16 mpg over many thousands of miles.

I averaged 13-15 with the last one, so expect to fall in that ballpark even with lower towing speed these days (58 vs. 63-mph). TT is expected to weigh around 7k empty (full propane & fresh water). I'll be getting a scale ticket or two to help set baseline. There is maintenance, repairs and tweaks for the future (both vehicles) and this is just a git'er home trip. Both TT & TV will be lighter by several thousand pounds overall than the plan calls for. The outside high weight will be 18k for the combination, but I expect to be around 14k at this time.

The main thing will be in watching temps to see if [2] of the [4] grille blocks need to be removed given expected temps of from 60F to nearly 80F (A/C will be in use at some point in the day). A long slightly downhill run from North Texas to South Texas.