View Single Post
Old 12-23-2012, 08:57 PM   #28 (permalink)
slowmover
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_Dave View Post
Yes, when you're concerned with temps, just keep an eye on the coolant temp. When starting up, the temp should continuously rise until the thermostat opens (typically 180-200 deg F), and then fluctualte slightly within a range of +/-10 deg F or so. If the temp starts to rise above that level that means you have too much grille blocke--because the engine can't stay cool enough with the stat full open. If that happens, start taking grille block off.
I was watching for that temp fluctuation today on the way home from work. Sure enough, there was a change in the rate of increase just above 180F (till that point "rise" was nearly 2-degrees every few seconds once I was on the highway).

As I understand, our thermostats don't fully open until 207F. I'll use that as my cutoff this time (as temps will be mild, the load isn't onerous, Interstates are built for lower HP demand, and unless I hit stop'n'go traffic I'll see how things do).

As the block is most easily removed (bolt + wingnut) I'm looking forward to first removing the lower area, then watching for temp rise with A/C cut-in at some point.