View Single Post
Old 12-23-2012, 09:09 PM   #29 (permalink)
slowmover
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron View Post
should be a nice upgrade ,Im going to add some gauges to my CTD. trans temp,pyro temp, and a fuel pressure gauge.and a new scangauge mine is first gen. what length is your old TT and do you expect to loose or gain mpg
I'm using ULTRAGUAGE as regular mech gauges are expensive. I may add one or two of those once I have a better idea of what I want to read.

The old TT was a 34'. Of a slightly different construction and aero design than the newest one. The new one is also wider and possibly taller though I haven't measured that yet. I would expect -- all other things the same -- that the older would be slightly better in handling off-centerline crosswinds thus possibly better in overall long-term mpg. This one is rather square in comparison (12-deg radius walls versus 22-deg).

I believe it rather easy to hit that 14/16-mpg with an Airstream type TT when using a CTD. The dedicated ecomodder will do slightly better. I look at it as mainly being able to predict long term costs . . and fuel is a good "instant" gauge of how I am doing in that regard.

Let's look at it another way. My northbound leg the other day, solo, was at 16-cpm. If I can see 14-mpg with the TT in tow southbound,
then 27-cpm is a decent baseline for future comparisons. My roundtrip expense would be 22-cpm to get the trailer home (had I only to have made [1] trip). At an est. 940-miles this would be just over $200 in fuel.

The grille block definitely shortened warm-up time/distance, and helped me maintain a higher engine temp once at highway speeds.

AFAICT, the effect drops off once ambient is around 60F. Becomes really marginal.