View Single Post
Old 12-24-2012, 12:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Regenerit
Can I haz Coroplast plz

11 Genesis Coupe - '11 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T
Last 3: 20.91 mpg (US)
New car: 2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T

Hey everyone, on 12/14/12 I traded in my old 93 Chevy Lumina and got a 2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe with 24,750 miles on the odometer. It has a 2L 4 cylinder turbo charged engine with a 5-speed automatic transmission. It's rated 20 city, 30 highway, 23 combined. It produces 223HP with premium fuel (210 on regular however I hear from many genesis owners that premium fuel is best and cheaper due to what they say is better fuel economy, haven't tested it myself) and 217lbs-ft of torque.

After filling up about two tanks now and getting piss poor fuel economy (20.96mpg and 17.86mpg) with a combination of city driving and highway driving (50/50 i would say) I wondered if something was going wrong. Its been about 30-45 degrees here in Chicago, IL the last week or so and now about 20-35 degrees. The second tank's poor fuel economy is somewhat understandable, I had a lot of engine idling in heavy traffic around chicago and a lot of traffic even on the highway but for it to be combined is a shocker.

Regardless of those two readings I tried my game at hypermiling again this time really trying and I was able to squeeze out 31mpg from highway driving and a tiny bit of stop-n-go driving in about a 5 mile distance as I tried to get to my house. It may just be my poor driving and heavy traffic afterall that caused me to get such poor figures. I was able to repeatedly get decent numbers from 25mpg (both city and highway) to 31mpg in short trip lengths from 2-5 mile distances. One thing I noticed heavily is that the first 3 minutes or so of driving i get single digit to teen numbers for mpg as the car gets warmed up.

Is it typical to get such poor mpg in the first couple of minutes of running a cold engine (getting 8mpg in the first 30 seconds to 15mpg at about 2-3 minutes for a car that gets 23 combined fuel economy) in weather that's about 30 degrees?