View Single Post
Old 12-24-2012, 07:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Regenerit
Can I haz Coroplast plz

11 Genesis Coupe - '11 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T
Last 3: 20.91 mpg (US)
My responses are in BOLD and blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRU View Post
Can you explain your route, and are you trying to use the least amount of throttle when you expect to stop soon..
When I got 20.96mpg my route was mostly to and from work which is considered about 60% stop and go long distances, 10% highway, and about 30% city that is about 28 miles one way. I was able to net 25.8mpg on one morning commute there in 40DegF and 24.5mpg on the way back with some denser traffic and getting caught at some lights a bit more than in the morning. I also did some around town driving and such and gunning the engine at times (hey its a sports car and its new, I wanna have some fun! ) and other stuff I dont remember much of.
For my second tank where I got 17.8mpg, I did a lot of travel into Chicago from just outside the boundaries, taking I-55 north onto I-90 north and then dealing with traffic on Foster and around. By far the most idling I have done in a car in a long time. I idled a lot on I-90, braked and went slow on I-55 cause there was traffic there too, and all around just bad (also, some engine gunning) although I still tried to hypermile whenever I could but with soooo much traffic (and people get pushy) I didnt want to coast forever with people tailgating me, getting upset, etc.

For example my route...from the house to my first stop is about 200 feet so i only accelerat to 10mph and let off the gas and let the momentum and high idle take me to the stop...the i take off again and the next stop is a red light 500 feet away so i only accelerate to 35 mph and coast again...in that short time i get about 20 mpg starting with a cold 32 f engine
I like your technique. When I start up my engine, I let it idle for about 30 seconds to let things start flowing a bit before I start moving, I try not to be hard on the accelerator, keeping the engine speed under 3000rpms (usually under 2500rpms), it redlines at about 6500rpms to give you an idea of the percentage of the max it can do. It's during this cold start that I notice it has such a huge dip in mpg (reading from a cold start anywhere from 8-15mpg), even with as much coasting as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksa8907 View Post
yeah, thats about normal. if you're extra worried you can check your spark plugs and make sure the intake is free of build up. the only real strength of the turbo engine replacing a larger engine is that when you don't need the power, it will use less fuel (idle), otherwise it uses just as much as anything else that produces the same power.

completely different animal, but im running about 70/30 highway/city and getting 24.5-26.5mpg. 220hp/tq summer i will see 28-30

what kind of rpm is the engine turning at 55-60mph?
At 55-60mph, my engine turns over at about 2700-3000rpms, redline at 6500. It seems to be pretty clear to me from the tests I've done that I can definitely net better mpg by as much as 15% by pulse and gliding with the engine on which is definitely good news to me.