View Single Post
Old 12-26-2012, 09:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
rmay635703
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
I would recommend you take a look or try to get a Greensaver lead silicon battery like my fathers mini van has.

He has approaching 10k on this 48v battery pack and his summer range is still around 40 miles give or take (we have gone 46miles a couple times)

His pack has had many deep discharges (80%-90% ish) and it still functions despite extreme abuse although its winter performance has dropped each year which is odd.

These greensaver batteries do not sulphate as far as I can tell but they are difficult to charge and experience damage each time they are charged fully, (sealed battery shouldn't gas) very strange battery and it loves to go out of balance.

I have a feeling if you put the technology that we use with lithium into lead plus add a CNT matrix you would have a much more durable battery that does not sulphate appreciably. The lead silicon greensavers do not appear to sulphate so we already have that covered, CNT would cover the peukert issues.

Sadly a lead battery that costs as much as a lithium battery, still weighs a bit more and is more difficult to charge would likely be a very hard sell but I bought one anyway, so maybe there would be a market for an advanced lead battery.

I always figured it was a bad thing that firefly never made it to market and the koreign micro bubble tech gave up on the CNT lead side.

Cheers
Ryan