View Single Post
Old 12-27-2012, 06:23 PM   #29 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.79 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Sadly, it is difficult to find a quiet spot in the library. When I was earning my first Bachelors, I had such a difficult time focusing in the computing commons, I kept hearing flip-flops hitting tiles, kids talking on cell phones, etc, that I would not be able to make much progress until everyone left, so I started taking a nap after work and then going back to school at 11pm, doing schoolwork through the night, and then leaving for work at five.

We will see how my classes go from here on. A friend taught me some programming in 1989 and I tried taking C++ twice in college--first at my university, then at the community college. I guess that the first time was my fault, I did not take the lab seriously, but I never understood the lecture. However, at the community college it seemed so easy that I wished that I could write my programs during class. However, there came a point when my programs would not run, my instructor refused to help me, my friends couldn't, and I did not have any idea where to find help.

If your program did not run you automatically lost 50% and I had that problem with all of my programs, including the final. I again asked the teacher for help, reminding her that she would not help me before, she said that she couldn't, so I just walked out.

When I was in Afghanistan I got back into the ancient game of Tradewars 2002. I had difficulty explaining why I played a text game, but I think that much of my interest was in writing scripts. Unfortunately, the language was specific to the game. You could use Java, but everyone said that it was way more difficult, and that a TWX script would always be much faster.

I enjoyed figuring out how to make scripts do what I wanted, but if I tried editing an old script, sometimes it was too complex to understand--even though I had written it!

I did use comments. Oh well.

Last edited by Xist; 09-05-2013 at 02:11 PM.. Reason: "figuring," not "figured."