View Single Post
Old 12-28-2012, 01:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
101Volts
Master EcoModder

Woody - '90 Mercury Grand Marquis Wagon LS
Last 3: 19.57 mpg (US)

Brick - '99 Chevrolet K2500 Suburban LS
Last 3: 12.94 mpg (US)

M. C. - '01 Chevrolet Impala Base
90 day: 17.09 mpg (US)

R. J. - '05 Ford Explorer 4wd
90 day: 16.66 mpg (US)
Thanks but I'm keeping the car for now; I did try to sell it a few months ago and I gave up, It doesn't seem that many people in my local rural area want one of these cars for the price I asked which was $995 even though I had it for sale for probably over a month. Since it doesn't cost much to keep it, I think it'd be worthwhile to modify it given my locale and the fact it's just sitting around most of the time plus it's not worth much and is in great running order.

Here are some modifications I have in mind:

Make the car more aerodynamic with:

Wheel Well Covers
An underbody cover
A more aerodynamic front (Clear Molded plastic to fit on with velcro? This may have a partial grill block.)

I'm hoping to preserve the car a bit more with aerodynamic modifications so I can drive it in the winter without as many worries; Whatever it is they put on the roads up here eats through cars quickly and although the car has two undercoatings I'd prefer to prevent rust from occurring as quickly.

I read that post about the 3/4 ton Pickup Truck in which the owner got over 45 MPG. I know it was a diesel truck but if he can get such good economy out of such a heavy truck, I think I can improve my economy a great deal in this car. And I will keep in mind the block heater and engine blanket mentioned in his post.