View Single Post
Old 12-28-2012, 04:21 PM   #11 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,227 Times in 4,654 Posts
small Kammback

Quote:
Originally Posted by riddleyo View Post
Well since I don't have Hucho's diamond yet, what do you guys think of this? It would be a small Kammback made from fiberglass attempting to follow the template line. It retains the rear visibility.

This is a shot in the dark, but... would the air detach from the kammback and hit the spoiler to increase or decrease drag?

I did the small Kammback on my CRX,but went ahead and extended the C-pillars along the 'Template' contour to fully capture a locked-vortex within the footprint of the K-form roof.
The fenestration below the mid wing was glazed with plex (like the next-gen CRX) an allowed no airflow.
As to whether or not the extension will reduce drag.By definition,it will,although maybe not enough to show at the pump.
The K extension is moving the separation point rearward into slower,higher static pressure air.Since the base pressure of the entire wake is governed by the pressure at the separation point it must be of higher pressure i.e. lower drag than before.
Do the tuft test when you can.And attach longer streamer tufts (say,3-ft/1-meter in length) at the top outer edges of the roof.If you have vorticity it will show up in 'outer space' flying up,outward,and away from the body,which might not otherwise reveal itself with the shorter tufts.A 'Chinese Dragon' will signify the vorticity.