View Single Post
Old 12-28-2012, 09:57 PM   #79 (permalink)
Tango Charlie
Deadly Efficient

Olivia - '03 Pontiac Vibe base
90 day: 36.01 mpg (US)

R2-D2 - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.81 mpg (US)
No.
I pulled an all-nighter trying. It's one of those things; when a project is 75% complete there's still 90% of work yet to be done. I ended up yanking the whole darn thing off so I can use the cargo platform. We're loaded up and ready to hit the road tomorrow morning. Just a day late...

Lesson learned; coroplast is great for grille blocks and belly panels, but not so great as a replacement for aluminum when you're fabricating a monocoque structure. The flexibility of the coro was a big hang-up in this project.

I ended up not messing with straps. I gaffer-taped it right to the car, which actually proved to be pretty solid. The majority of the time I spent on it this week was putting on the top piece and securing things that had only been tacked in place. The straw that broke the camel's back was the latch for the access door in the rear bulkhead. I just couldn't come up with a quick solution, running on three hours of sleep as I was. And I hadn't even started with the tail lights and rear-view camera.

Ah well. You win some you lose some. Sorry guys. I feel like I've let you down. I'm not sure if I'll try to salvage it when I get home. I'll think about it when we return from Idaho.
KamperBob (12-29-2012)