View Single Post
Old 06-14-2008, 01:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,207 Times in 4,640 Posts
Chrysler Proving Grounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Cd View Post
I've wondered what your .Cd was on that car.

So you paid to use the Chrysler Proving Grounds ??

Big ... big bucks !
After Bonneville,in 1991,I wanted some independent verification for the drag on the CRX. Glen Scharf,at GM Aero Lab,told me over the phone,that if my highway mileage had gone from 52mpg,to 60.6mpg,and nothing had changed on the car,but the shape,that basically I was looking at Cd 0.23.
The top-speed figures gave me Cd 0.24.Pretty close agreement. I called up to CAR and DRIVER in Ann Arbor,Michigan,and they told me that if I could get the car up to them,that one of their guys could run it through the ringer for me.We agreed to a date,and in October,1991, I drove it up there to Hogback Road. CAR and DRIVER has access to the Chrysler Proving Grounds,at East Chelsea,Michigan,for testing,and we took the car out there and did top-speed and coastdown tests.C and D ran the data-reduction for me,and mailed me a report with the results. I'm going to post all the data as a "case-study",showing the before and after numbers.Looking over the data set,I found something that I wanted to bounce off CAR and DRIVER,have emailed them with the data,and am waiting to hear back. They're awfully busy getting their publication out each month,so I must wait 'til it is convenient for them.I'll post when I can.Hope that answers your question.