View Single Post
Old 12-29-2012, 07:03 PM   #12 (permalink)
christofoo
Master EcoModder

00C - '00 Toyota Corolla
90 day: 43.54 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
I'll never find the original thread, but someone who races dirt-track modifieds recommended an aluminum/plastic laminate that they use for those big wings they run. I did bookmark a source of the material, Polymetal. It comes in 1/8' and 1/4' thickness, with strength approx. equal to 5/8" plywood. A supplier local to me can provide it for $104 for a 4'x8' sheet: Sign Panels | NUDO&reg

The farther the better. Flush-headed rivets?

You could put the bottom contour at ~10° and extend a flap all the way to the back of the gas tank/spare tire well or whatever's under there.

What do you plan to do to keep the taillights visible?
Hmm Polymetal. Never heard of it, but coropolast under aluminum had crossed my mind, primarily for vibration damping but also a little benefit in buckling stength, although in principle it makes sense as a possible weight reduction method for the flat panel sections. I kind of think that a bead roller is still the best way to go in that regard, but probably I need to play with it, anwyways I haven't decided for sure I want to invest in a bead roller. But I might sell the SGII I won for EM's BD as justification for it.

Aerodynamically I think rivet heads don't matter, but I might have to flush them just for aesthetics.

For taillights, a trailer light set is the way to go. If I do a gapfill on the sides it will be clear plastic so as not to obstruct the stock headlights when the hitch box is off.

Last edited by christofoo; 12-29-2012 at 07:23 PM..