Thread: check my math?
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012, 04:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
order99
EcoModding Apprentice

While you're deciding on a primary, efficient DIY off-grid power supply, why not reduce dependence on the grid with the following:

Added insulation at key points throughout the house for better R-value.
Thermal barrier for the windows(my solution was $20 of office-grade bubble-wrap).
More insulation around water heater and pipes, along with a timer.
Build one or more solar thermal window units or a solar Thermal false wall-the easiest unit I have found consists of an old, large window, windowbox cut to size and filled with rows of soup cans painted black, PVC intake and outflow ports, wrapped conduit and window block, with one way valve on outflow to prevent heat losses at night. A false wall can be rendered inert in summer with an awning and window units can be disconnected and repurposed as food dehydrators, solar cookers and the like.
I have heard of designers reengineering horizontal freezers into super-effecient refrigerators-my budget and space hasn't allowed me to explore that option yet though, so I can't add personal testimony.

Get the house efficient enough and you won't need nearly as much of any power source for grid independence. BTW-are you near any sources of running water that don't dry up in the summer? The only option I didn't see listed above was Hydroelectric..