View Single Post
Old 06-14-2008, 03:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
NoCO2
Bicycle Junky

Putsaround - '96 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

The Commuter - '07 Trek 1000SL
90 day: 617.28 mpg (US)

Zippy - '91 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 33.29 mpg (US)
Bike maintenance, how to do it myself to save some money

Ok, so I was noticing yesterday some things on my bike that I think might need worked on.

For one, the chain squeaks now out of no where. I tore apart the front cassette and took the cleaned the sprockets and chain and re-lubed everything using a dry lube like I had done in the past, so hopefully that will stop that problem.

The next thing I was wondering was about general maintenance. I have about 3000ish miles on this bike now and I know that bikes need periodic maintenance just like cars do and that there are certain millage points that these things usually need to be done.

First question, a new chain. I am pretty sure, judging by how the chain is hitting the rear gears and some of the wear points on the teeth, that I need a new chain. How do I do this and what tools will I need? I'm perfectly comfortable doing work myself, I just don't know how for this.

Next question is about tires. I rotated my rear tire to the front about an hour ago after recommendations from the mechanic at the bike shop when I told him the rear was getting very flat in the middle of the tread. But, at what point can you wear a bike tire down to until it's unsafe to ride?

Also, if anyone has any experience doing any other maintenance on bikes. Information would be greatly appreciated on tearing down any other part of the bike, say hubs and steering column to re-grease bearings and clean out dirt.

Thanks in advance for the info.