View Single Post
Old 12-31-2012, 08:25 PM   #21 (permalink)
pete c
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucepick View Post
pete c,

When you question whether it's worthwhile buying insulation, I'm not sure if you're referring to the valve cover or to hood insulation.

Anyway, if you think there's more return in insulating other areas, please do them on your car, and let us know how it works out.

The foam for the valve cover was $6 for the roll as I mentioned in the first post. What I did not write there is that I used most of the roll. I certainly could use the rest of the roll on this engine, it would only help. If doing an engine larger than my 1.6 liter Civic's, one would probably use the whole roll anyway.

I don't think this would be a "basic" mod, one of the first to be done on a car. But it makes a lot of sense for a car with already reduced fuel consumption and thus reduced heat generated. And definitely makes sense when using a block heater, in my humble opinion.
I think hood insulation is a very good idea.

The valve cover less so, because as I said before, once you stop and there is not hot oil spraying around inside, I don't think the cover is has much heat to radiate. Remember, it is isolated from the head by a gasket. The head, manifolds and block are the primary sources of heat radiation.

But, what the heck, it's 6 bucks, worth trying just from a curiosity point of view.