View Single Post
Old 06-14-2008, 04:17 PM   #124 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,221 Times in 4,648 Posts
tire pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasdrouille View Post
Good luck finding THE answer, as such a thing does not exists. I'd go with RH77's advice.

Capri, I can't wait to see your take on hyperinflation. You already stated you had access to a lot of information under normal operating conditions, but this is hardly useful in regards to hyperinflation.

If I was a tire manufacturer, I'm pretty sure I would fund studies to test the limits of my tires for liability purposes.

Ok so to anyone, I would like to get arguments against running at 50 psi a tire which is rated for 44 psi. What I would also like, is that for every argument you make, you explain the basis of that argument and/or provide a credible source.
I saw this discussion last week and have been looking at some of my old articles and SAE stuff.-------------The nuts and bolts of it seems to be that you don't exceed the max. rated pressure embossed on the sidewall of the tire.-------------While under-inflating below the manufacturer's recommended inflation pressure will cost you fuel and risk you a blow out and rollover death or spinal-cord injury in an SUV,over-inflating the tires beyond recommended pressures will reward you with no measurable improvement in mpg.-----------------Concept-tires as GM uses on Ultralite are low-aspect-ratio,18-inch,65-psi,with curvature cast into the sidewall to allow some flexure,while maintaining the contact patch.Rubber compounds are black-art high-hysteresis compounds which somehow also have reasonable dry and wet traction characteristics.Tread width and mass are minimized for low aerodynamic loading and low polar-moment-of-inertia.---------------Temperature ratings are a big deal in tire technology and determine whether your dead or alive should you loose pressure while driving.-----------At Bonneville,I was required to inflate the tires on the CRX to 45-psi,minimum ( higher than max pressure rating ) to forestall standing wave,heat build-up,and catastrophic tire failure.at top-speed.As soon as the event was over,I reduced pressure to Honda specs.I got 60.6 mpg to the West Coast and back to Texas running normal pressure.----------Factory pressures are set for braking bias,and determine whether the car will oversteer or understeer,once the limits of adhesion are reached.Carmakers like cars to break loose at the front first,then a simple steering input can restore direction.Altering pressures with indescretion could allow the car to swap ends violently ,when pushed in an emergency maneuver.Please don't gamble with your lives for the sake of a liter or gallon of fuel.
royanddoreen (12-03-2019)