View Single Post
Old 06-14-2008, 04:41 PM   #20 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
powered trailer

I think the idea of a traction power unit in the trailer,providing thrust is kinda scary.I really like the idea for an EV extender as I think ttoyyoda mentioned,and the streamlining concept mentioned by ebacherville.I went to the Solar-500,at Phoenix Int'l Raceway in the early 90s and saw two electric trailers.---------One was Allen Cocconi's,creator of the black-box for the GM Impact,the other was from a Volvo team.Allen drove his electric CRX up from Los Angeles,with a gen -set on the trailer,feeding power forward through an electrical umbilical cord.-------------Neither Allen or Volvo's people seemed to have caught onto the fact that had they streamlined the trailer,they could have probably extended range.I attempted a motorcycle-based,one-wheel trailer for the CRX just to try the streamlining part,but when I tested it,unbeknownst to me,two carburetor vacuum lines were completely burned through.I still got 48-mpg through Texas,New Mexico and Colorado.I'll have to retest to see what it will do with good hoses.