View Single Post
Old 01-01-2013, 10:08 PM   #117 (permalink)
AeroModder
Master EcoModder

Tank - '96 Ford Aspire 4 door
Team Ford
90 day: 46.75 mpg (US)
Installed the Pulstar plugs today. They do make it feel a bit more peppy, and seem to add another couple MPG on the highway during light load, but the faster growing flame kernel retards the timing a bit, which makes low RPM performance suffer. Under high load at low RPM it'll stumble sooner than my copper plugs would. The Scangauge actually showed negative timing when this happened. Also, it felt like there was a misfire at half throttle in 5th gear at about 25-30 MPH. It happened more than once, so it wasn't just a fluke. I do have one spark plug wire that has some connecter issues, so I might see if that's the culprit and order a new set.

Unfortunately, my plans of testing these for a few tanks before making any changes crashed along with my air dam after it met a piece of a blown truck tire on the freeway. I had to pull the dam off on the side of the freeway, and marked a 3 MPG loss without it. The dam is bent inward and the undertray is split in two. Thankfully I recently bought a new sheet of coroplast, so I'll be rebuilding it soon.