View Single Post
Old 06-14-2008, 06:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lazarus
ECO-Evolution

Iron Horse (retired) - '97 Iron horse Intrepid

Ninja - '08 Kawasaki 250R
90 day: 76.23 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCO2 View Post
As for the chain. I took a closer look at the rear cassette and I see that one side of the teeth for a few of the gears I use the most have begun to round off on one side. I'm assuming this is because the chain has stretched so I'm going to go, as soon as I get paid, and get a new chain and pop it on. Is there any differences in different types of chains or chain manufacturers that I should look for when getting a replacement?

Another thing that the mechanic talked to me about when I was in the shop was upgrading my wheels to hubs that used cartridge bearings instead of just straight ball bearings. Is there any real advantage to using them other then ease of maintenance? I know my hubs need a good overhaul, but I'm hesitant to tear these hubs apart to clean them because of a few things, the fact that you have to re-true the wheels afterwards being the main factor and the time factor being the other. It's $45 to have the mechanic at the shop do it and that's $45 I would rather use on something else if I could...do you recommend doing this yourself or is this something a professional would be better doing?

Hopefully the cassette is not toast. There are several different manufactures for chains. I've only used shamino and SRAM. Probably start a big debate but I've broken 2 shamino chains and won't use them anymore. I've never had a problem with SRAM. They have the quick link disconnect and you could probably get one under 25 bucks maybe a lot less depending what works for your bike.

I would not worry about the hubs. Just keep what you got those have been around for a long time and will keep you going I've got some cup and cone that probably have 80k on them and are still going. Just grease them up after and before the rainy season. You should not have to re-true the wheels to work on the hubs if you were going to replace the hubs yes but to overhaul them no. Here's a link to overhauling them it not that tough although you would need to buy some tools but it so nice to be able to have a problem and work on it the same day and not have to wait for the shop to get to it.