View Single Post
Old 01-03-2013, 02:11 PM   #573 (permalink)
wmjinman
Master EcoModder

Jimmy - '00 GMC Jimmy SLT
90 day: 21.18 mpg (US)

The White Gnat - '99 Suzuki Swift
Team Suzuki
90 day: 51.87 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesforman View Post
Sorry to be a complete newbie but I'm such interested in this new way to reduce fuel consumption.
I found this kit HHO on and look for more informations.
Does anyone knows about this kind of systems ?
Thanks !
Seriously though, they don't seem to work. Some swear they do, but always seem unable to show substantial enough evidence (from rigorous enough testing) to really "prove" it.

The closest I have to first-hand information on this type of thing was a couple years ago my ex-wife's then boyfriend was building one. He was telling me all about it, and how wonderful it was going to be, and he was going to make it twice as big as the plans called for so he could totally shut off the gas and run completely on hydrogen. ..... Yeah, right!!

When she asked what I thought, I told the "ex" I didn't think it would work. In the following months, his truck was "not running" more than it was "running". He "blew the alternator" (because of the excess load, I assume), then put in a much bigger, super-duper alternator, and, if I remember right, blew that one, too. Then he had "engine trouble" next.....

Finally, the "ex" threw him out, because she figured out he was just a bull$hitting freeloader. We used to joke and call him "Mr. Hydrogen Bomb".

So, we're all still kinda waiting for someone to offer some definitive, "real world" evidence that these things actually work, but so far, we're still waiting.