View Single Post
Old 01-03-2013, 04:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
AaronMartinSole
Your car looks ridiculous

The Fantastic Festiva - '90 Ford Festiva L
90 day: 43.16 mpg (US)

A Civic Duty - '96 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 34.9 mpg (US)

Ranger Danger - '96 Ford Ranger XL
90 day: 17.42 mpg (US)
Question Failed Smog - 92 Civic DX - High HC, CO, and Super High NOx

1/10/12 Update: I hate reading through long threads, so here's a TLR, a too long, didn't read, shortened update.

Failed smog miserably. Test results are attached. Replaced:
-O2 Sensor
-PCV Valve
-Fuel Filter
-Thermostat

And basic maintenance like oil change, transmission fluid change, spark plugs and wires, and air filter.

Compression test, without foot on pedal = 165, 160, 161, 162 - OK!
Vacuum Gauge = 19 in. Hg - OK!
Tested catalytic converter using infrared thermometer - unsure.
Adjusted timing to specs - OK!

=Squirted some boiling hot distilled water into the vacuum line from the brake booster in an attempt to de-carbon. May have made oil watery. Will change oil soon.

>Detail: Car spews white smoke on a cold start while warming up, but after warmed up, it stops. This model has no EGR system.

With all of this done, I haven't yet gotten another smog check. Not confident I'll pass, but I have no idea. What do I need?

================================================== ========

So I just bought a 92 Civic DX sedan and I failed the smog test magnificently. I'm kind of proud of this old civic for failing so miserably. It makes it more exciting. And it makes the potential win that much more sweeter.

I've attached a photo of the smog report. Basically failed all HC, CO, and most of all failed NOx spectacularly at over three times the allowable limit at 15mph, and I passed HC and OC at 25mph, and then failed NOx a little less much still horrendously at 25mph.

Also my timing was at 10 BTDC when it should be at 16. I'm going to attempt to buy a timing light and readjust it.

One thing to note: I've been learning how to drive manual on this car, and I have stalled out without exaggeration almost a hundred times. Lol, I'm amazing. But I'm getting the hang of it. Perhaps this kind of wear that usually takes years which I wonderfully achieved in the time of a few hours may have had some negative effects?

What do I do?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	smogreport.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	12188  

Last edited by AaronMartinSole; 01-10-2013 at 01:31 AM..