View Single Post
Old 01-03-2013, 09:56 PM   #15 (permalink)
ECONORAM
halos.com

ECONORAM - '07 Dodge RAM 1500 QC SLT flex-fuel
90 day: 18.16 mpg (US)

the Avenger - '08 Dodge Avenger SXT
90 day: 27.06 mpg (US)
Send a message via Yahoo to ECONORAM
Quote:
Originally Posted by t vago View Post
Now, my question is - If an EFIE device is supposed to trick the engine computer into running leaner than before, by modifying the O2 sensor signal to make it appear that the engine's running more richly than it really is, how can you maintain control of the air fuel mixture if the O2 sensor output only goes to 15:1? Because it seems to me that if you're going to go beyond 15:1 (where real fuel economy gains would be realized), you're going to need something other than a device that merely changes the signal coming from a sensor that is limited to 15:1 on the lean end. Otherwise, you have no idea what the AFR is, and you'll eventually end up burning something up inside the engine due to an unanticipated over-lean condition.
I read that an EFIE adds a bit of voltage to the O2 sensor signal (like 0.2v for example), to basically skew the median to a leaner value. I agree, just installing this gizmo, dialing in a guesstimate voltage, and not having something to accurately monitor the result is not a good idea. However, I expect that is what several people do...and will be surprised when something goes ka-boom.