View Single Post
Old 01-04-2013, 01:01 AM   #13 (permalink)
ryannoe
Not Ordinary Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazInMT View Post
News flash....cars and airplanes operate in very different environments aerowise. Are they both moving through air....why yes, but that is where the similarity ends. Cars are in ground effect and have zero laminar flow going across their skins, so vortex generators would only serve to make a turbulent layer more turbulentier....which makes no sense, which is why they're crap when it comes to auto aerodynamics.

The "Vortex Generator" on the CRV Honda headlight assembly is an optical reflector designed to make the turn signal more visible from a greater angle on the opposite side of the car. I got em on my 04 Civic too.
News flash? LOL

Ground effect with respect to aircraft is a "phenomenon" where aircraft are able to increase pressure under their wings due to proximity to the ground. If we are talking car ground effect, it is the same "phenomenon" but reversed where a spoiler or the vehicle itself is angled downward increasing the low pressure under the body due to Bernoulli's principle of incompressible flow. It has nothing to do with vortex generator efficiency or practicality on vehicles.

Secondly, vortex generators re-energize boundary layers. Why would you think to energize a laminar boundary layer? Laminar skin friction is the least drag of any type and the least your worries. Never interrupt that flow with a vortex generator. Vortex generators are used to keep the turbulent boundary layer attached longer, thus reducing pressure drag and to give control surfaces authority.

Quote:
I've used vortex generators on my Aspire with very positive results, but not quite as good as a kammback.
I plan to further investigate VGs on cars to reduce pressure drag.

AeroModder - Thanks for the prior testing, that was a good thread if I'm not mistaken, the same one you have your avatar picture of?

Wungun - I'm assuming the VGs are part of a STOL kit?

-Ryan