View Single Post
Old 01-06-2013, 01:18 PM   #115 (permalink)
rickjames8
EcoModding Lurker

Civic VX - '94 Honda Civic VX
Hello,

Not sure if its better netiquette to reply to an old thread or start a new one, but as my question is about this original mod, I thought it would be best to reply here. If it's better to start a new thread, let me know and I'll do that next time.

As far as your class C boat tail is concerned, do you think it would function the same if it just had the sides, and no back? This way you could have access to that space, and even place a cargo box or spare tire in there. Rear lights would simply be mounted to the edges. Any rear window would still let in light.

Also, I've noticed that coroplast seems to be the material of choice for all boat tails. I have always enjoyed working with fiberglass. What is the main reason people do not use fiberglass? It has strength when it hardens, so you could save weight with a lighter frame while still having the structure rigid. I think in the end, the weight might be equal. Thats just a guess.

Lastly, how long do you think a boat tail on a RV would need to be to be very effective? I'm looking at 21-foot RVs primarily because I didn't like driving a longer one when I owned a big class A. I'd like to not add any more than 18 inches to the back, but would that get noticable results or be worth the effort?

Thanks,
-Rick
The Following User Says Thank You to rickjames8 For This Useful Post:
orbywan (01-07-2013)