View Single Post
Old 01-07-2013, 08:50 PM   #31 (permalink)
AaronMartinSole
Your car looks ridiculous

The Fantastic Festiva - '90 Ford Festiva L
90 day: 43.16 mpg (US)

A Civic Duty - '96 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 34.9 mpg (US)

Ranger Danger - '96 Ford Ranger XL
90 day: 17.42 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty94cx View Post
I though it's been a long time since I lived in Cali that you could go to somewhere and if it was over 500$ to fix you got a waiver. It could be a bad head gasket are you using any coolant? If so then it's going somewhere. Cats usually get to plugged and melt. They clog. See if you get good pulses of exhaust out the back. Check you vacccum you might have a tired motor. So happy no smog check in my county. If you have black smoke out the tail pipe it's not lean its rich. In complete combustion.
Coolant is full. Read a trick somewhere saying to hit the cat with a mallet to get some stuff loose, then go full throttle to clean it out. Don't know if that was serious or a joke, but I'll try anything.

[!!!] Found an exhaust leak. Put a rag in the tailpipe, checked under the car and under the hood, and found an exhaust leak right after the cat where it connects, where the gasket should be. Looks like I'm going to be replacing that gasket. But would that exhaust leak really make a difference, and also it being after the cat? I know nothing about anything.

I read somewhere on the internet (lol) this person replaced their cat and still failed. They found an exhaust leak, changed a $3 gasket, and then passed. Boggles my mind. I don't know if an exhaust leak can cause 3000+ NOx readings, but I know I've got one, and I'll be changing that gasket.

I've got to read up on checking vacuum. I'm planning on doing a compression test and putting the tester where the O2 sensor goes. I have no idea what I'm doing. Yeah!

Last edited by AaronMartinSole; 01-08-2013 at 12:42 AM..