View Single Post
Old 01-07-2013, 10:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ryland
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
At the local EV club someone often tells the new people at the meeting that most of us are gear heads who happen to like electric vehicles and for the home built EV I think that will stay the case.
Just because you can buy an electric bicycle at the store doesn't mean people stop building their own, same with electric motorcycles and from what I see the same is true for electric cars.
You can go out and buy a gasoline car with 500hp but people still build hot rods.

My parents bought their used converted EV from someone who bought a brand new Leaf and there are other used EV's on the market that are there for the same reasons!
My EV is 31 years old and I bought it at the peek of it's value from what I can tell, $3,500 and I see them selling for about that now, but they are also selling for slightly less and no one is advertising them as the only option for a factory built EV any more, now they are pushing for collectors to buy them... not a big collector market, so their selling price is dropping.
Toyota Rav-4-EV's have sold for $45,000 a few years back, now the same condition of vehicle is selling for less then half that.
Conversions that are for sale that need a lot of work are also either not selling or selling at nice low prices, the people who want to buy a conversion want to buy something that works! but if you look at EValbums.com people are still listing new conversions all the time, but almost half of them now have lithium batteries and are more then just a toy.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ryland For This Useful Post:
IamIan (01-25-2013), niky (01-08-2013)