View Single Post
Old 01-07-2013, 11:28 PM   #19 (permalink)
ECONORAM
halos.com

ECONORAM - '07 Dodge RAM 1500 QC SLT flex-fuel
90 day: 18.16 mpg (US)

the Avenger - '08 Dodge Avenger SXT
90 day: 27.06 mpg (US)
Send a message via Yahoo to ECONORAM
Quote:
Originally Posted by t vago View Post
Well, I've been thinking, on and off, of using a WBO2 controller to control a WBO2 sensor, and passing the output through a microcontroller to generate a simulated narrowband O2 signal for the stock engine computer. The circuit would modify the WBO2 signal as required, taking throttle position and MAP into consideration, to fool the engine computer into running lean.

After thinking and thinking about it, I've come to the conclusion that I well and truly hate this idea. Why? Because decent off-the-shelf WBO2 controllers cost at least $150 apiece, and I'd need to install 4 of them into the Magnum (2 pre-cat and 2 post-cat). That's on top of the 4 each WBO2 sensors themselves, which I think are about $50 a pop. That's at least $800, all told.

Alternately, to test the WBO2-controller-as-EFIE idea, I could go install my other ancient PLX WBO2 controller into the truck (for the post-cat O2 sensor), but... why? I don't drive it that much any more.
I did find the Zeitronix ZT-2 has a wideband O2 sensor that has an adjustable narrowband output. So you could skew it lean as you like. But as you indicated, with a Dodge V8 you'd need at least two for the pre-cats. I asked Zeitronix and that's what they told me. Said I might throw a code from the post-cat O2s when running leaner. The truck doesn't get inspections (OK licensed) so that wouldn't be an issue, just annoying. At $300 each, I am inclined to just bite the bullet and blow my money on other things...like a lighter dampner or lighter wheels or something.