Thread: Messerschmitt
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013, 03:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
It's really not about me. You may notice I and I rephrase everything into the third person. If one could participate without drawing any attention to oneself I would. Think: Open Source Design Challenge. I'm interested in what everyone else would contribute, just to see where it goes.

That said: Urban travel is the regime of the bicycle. The Interstate System is a mid-range regime. Bonneville is Burning Man without the glitter and feathers. Um, where was I?

I had the pleasure of once following two Minis on I-5. A BMW Mini in the left lane pacing a BMC Mini on the right. The difference in size was instructive. Here's a picture of one of my favorite cars, the 1911 Franklin.
That seat is less than twice the width of the steering wheel. Think about that.

One could see:
  • An exact replica that could trade parts with an original.
  • A 'New Messerschmitt' 10% bigger so lard-ass well-fed Americans could fit in one.
  • A modern tadpole that shares the monocoque construction of the original, but maybe with FF or 3WD propulsion.

But to respond to your questions:
  • Price range: <$6800, otherwise you might just as well wait for the Elios
  • Top speed and torque: Same thing, the sky is the limit
  • Power source, size and weight: Varies. ICE, electric or hybrid
  • Safety rating: We don't need no steenking safety rating, but passing safety inspection at B'ville would be cool.

I guess I'm most interested in buildability. A cut, scored and glued monocoque with front, rear and roof sub-frames and stock drivetrain and suspension components sounds like the low road to success. The key component might be a VW transaxle with inboard 'electric regen' brake/assist.
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...nto-22746.html
The 1302 transaxle bolts right up to Rabbit/Golf axles and hubs (per the Blackjack Zero builders), and opens the door to everything that's been bolted into a Beetle, for instance steam engines. Here's the an example for the electric part:

That's actually Citroen, I couldn't find a picture of the VW transaxle with the inboard brake conversion which was done in the 60s. The stock outboard brakes could remain for parking and downhill in the mountains. And here's a way to put a rollcage/gullwing doors on the tub:

The KR500/VW Nils isn't 'off the table', is it?

Last edited by freebeard; 01-08-2013 at 03:52 PM..