View Single Post
Old 01-09-2013, 01:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
justme1969
Master EcoModder

To Dam or Spoilfront area.
Tested and proved is front spoiler creates more aero so car cuts through the air. The dam forces compression of even more air at front of vehicle. Then creates vacuume under the car at hiway speeds and even more turbulence than none of the above without side skirts.
I dont want a vacuume under my car or more downward pressure. both of which are usefull for other stuff, but for mpg less is always more!
I will go so far as to say if your car has a profiled "Aero" nose the simple answer is always to spoil the air. exception may be if windshield is not swept back, and then aerodynamics dont work.
Update#3 Got two new 195 70 14 front tires, keeping best 185 65 14s on the back.
I can reeeely feel fhe difference during coast down now! !!!!!
I have found that with nearly 1/4 mile more level ground covered I need to use brakes some to slip into traffic at off ramp. The side skirts go on Saturday, as well im moving the trunk spoiler to back of rear window to remove that low pressure turbulence too.
Im still working on the side mirror delte cant find good solution yet.
I may shorten the rear springs soon also, thus dropping the rear another 1.5".
Reason for smaller rear tires and lowering spring height is to add rake to windshield and nose, then reduce area behind the car as best I can.
This in my opinion is better than any mod save a boat tail. If its all about air compression from impact, and resulting forces than im out to reduce the signature of the car!