View Single Post
Old 01-10-2013, 03:09 AM   #408 (permalink)
rajadaja
EcoModding Lurker

Thank you for the welcome and the information! Yes, I was surprised to find that the pulse and glide technique actually works because I thought steady speed was preferable unless the road was not flat. I try to accelerate briskly on the downhills only, just like as if I was riding a bike, so I can build up the momentum to get over the next hill without reducing speed too much. What is your take on accelerating from a stop on an incline? My assumption has been that this is the biggest gas guzzler, so I should wait until the road levels out before hitting top speed. Do you think it's actually better to accelerate briskly for a shorter period? I have another unusual question. Is there any appreciable change in drag if you drive next to the concrete barriers that sometimes come very close to the edge of the lane, like in construction areas? I could see arguments for both worse economy and better, but I confess I dont know much about fluid dynamics. I usually avoid those lanes just because it feels a little unsafe so I probably wouldnt do it unless traffic was light