View Single Post
Old 01-10-2013, 07:27 AM   #57 (permalink)
BarelyAWake
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varn View Post
Around here the four wheeler and golf cart are quite acceptable for transportation. They are not allowed to drive state highways but are seen in town and on the back roads. they are commonly seen parked in front of local businesses No modifications needed.

Once you start piling on the weight and power the bicycle wheel/tire system isn't acceptable. Compare your wheels to the wheels on a common 50cc motorcycle. The axles, spokes and drive train are much beefier.

I could I s'pose simply ride a golf cart or four wheeler around, but where's the fun in that? If I didn't wish to tinker something together, I'd just use a car & be done w/it lol

If you mean the "common" bicycle wheel/tire system (ie typical box store bikes), adding a 50cc engine's weight & speed is pushing your luck as they're barely suitable for the task at hand even unmotorized... which is why I don't use them, preferring instead to avail myself of the plethora of quality yet not terribly expensive aftermarket parts available today. In this instance the rims were meant for downhill racing & freestyle (rear & front) as are front axles, the rear being the same thickness (keyed shaft) as a Puch moped, without the ridges & indentations the 'ped has (weak points) all of which has higher load value capability than I would ever expect to see except perhaps in a high speed crash, in which case all bets are off & it doesn't matter anymore anyway

Sure, there's always something bigger, stronger, faster or whatever - but to put the weight in perspective, the tadpole and myself together weigh almost exactly the same as a rather large co-worker of mine, whose stock mountain bike's wheelset still hasn't collapsed. I could use moped/scooter wheels... I even gave it some thought, but in this game every ounce counts & to be completely honest when considering weight, durability and cost for this application, custom bicycle wheelsets with their quality sealed bearings, double wall alloy rims and short stainless spokes win hands down *shrug*

Ofc... it would have been cheaper to just buy a moped/scooter - as before though, where's the fun in that?