View Single Post
Old 01-10-2013, 06:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
fusion210
Master EcoModder

Winsight - '06 Honda Insight
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 72.19 mpg (US)
I have (well, had) the Insight RE92 165/65/14 on a Dodge neon with some weight reduction, probably around 2400 with driver based on other neons I've weighed and my meticulous and anal weighing of parts ( www.neons.org • View topic - Calorie counting, my weight reduction list. ) and I'm stretching getting 35k out of them. I've self aligned the car to remove almost all toe. They've been at high PSI while on the car and they still have much more wear on the outsides vs the inner tread. I've heard of this with these tires on Insights, it has to be further compounded on cars that weigh a few hundred pounds more. I really don't know if it's because of the tire's design keeping the inner tread from expanding with stiff bands or my gentle (and I do mean gentle) cornering but the wear on the outside edges of the tread is really visible. I have portions on the inside that look good while the outside is starting to gnaw on the wear bars. While they would work great for some kind of max effort mpg figure, I can't recommend them for their value. All these other tires with 65,000 mi guestimates should mean something to our wallets, both in the cost of the tires and the mounting/balancing/disposal.

I'm just trying to get some last life out of them while it's rain free and then retiring them. One idea is using them for drag racing skinnies, they definitely have the advantage in being DOT approved, lrr and lightweight. Plus mine are paid for.