View Single Post
Old 01-11-2013, 02:56 AM   #42 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,819 Times in 7,276 Posts
I just found the thread. You promised a surprise. What—the neon underbody lighting?

Quote:
The body will be all aluminum. Laser cut and seam MIG welded. Every part of the car I can make at work except the canopy, but I know where I can get it made. The entire car has been designed around the tools I have available to me.
Castings? Forging? CNC? 3D printer?

If you need to go in snow wouldn't it be better to leave off the pontoon fenders, and run open wheels, like a Lakester? The front pontoon is open on the inside and out. Does it not turn with the wheel? If it doesn't, what holds it up? Why the wide track; do you need >1g cornering forces?

For defrosting you could have a flat on the front of the bubble, like a jet fighter plane and make that out of the glass they used in Ford Taurus windshields. It had lead in it so it would conduct electricity. It would melt caked on ice.

Here are some examples. That wide track look, the Tucker:

One of my favorites, the Mangusta:

Not open wheeled for less interference drag, the Messerschmitt:

Here is a reasonable package. You can get in and out of it. It has bumpers. The thickness of the windshield post shows it has some impact resistance. It isn't built for massive cornering side forces, and the fenders have minimal frontal area; although they could have little individual boattails, There's no need for the massive knife edges in front.

The VW Nils: