View Single Post
Old 01-11-2013, 10:40 AM   #39 (permalink)
myrefugeisintheLord
Learning Aeromodding

Metro - '93 Geo Metro 4 door hatchback
90 day: 35.26 mpg (US)
My vision is to have the momentary switch laying horizontal, and on the side of the shifter that's towards the back of the car. That way I can activate it with my thumb.

Best case scenario: I'm thinking a simple round clamp that can adjust its size (similar to a hose clamp), with a swivel head on the side of the switch, that attaches the switch to the shifter. Something that can be tightened once it's in the right position. And the part that attaches to the switch can be a simple flat ring large enough for the switch to fit in and tighten down to. It doesn't have to have a housing. (They're often times too bulky for my taste.) And if I added a second, smaller ring towards the wiring side of the switch, it would strengthen the attachment/stability too.

It would be a universal design that would work on any shifter. And with a thin rubber strip in between the shifter nob and clamp, you could ensure your shifter nob wouldn't be damaged. If I wasn't at work, I could have draw up a blue print of sorts.

. <><><> . <><><> . <><><> . <><><> . <><><> . <><><> . <><><> .

After last nights attempt, I'm thinking I'll just tape it to the shifter with electrical tape. That way I can determine if the location I want is a good/safe location. A custom shaped piece of packaging foam can help me get the approximate position and better surface to attach to. Lol, I don't even know if my splicing locations are correct or if the kill part is even going to work! Some of the kill switch aspects sill go over my head.
I suppose a more temporary situation is better until I have all the kinks sorted out!