View Single Post
Old 01-11-2013, 02:58 PM   #24 (permalink)
jackbauer
Master EcoModder

Insurance can be an issue especially in Europe. I was lucky enough to have a broker friend who did a lot of leg work to get it sorted. The thing is its all precedent. Now that the company have covered me in one ev another is no problem.

Last weekend I jacked up the front of the car for a look see as I had a sneaky suspicion that I may have a clearance issue between the motor frame and steering rack. Sure enough unlike on the E36 where the rack is mounted on the side of the crossmember on the 5 series its on top! Bit of headscratching later I think I have a solution. I picked up a driveshaft for the automatic version on ebay which is shorter than the manual. This will let me more the gearbox / motor assembly rearward by about 3 inches allowing the motor to clear the steering rack. I'll need to shorten the shifter linkages but that's only a bit of welding. Plenty of clearance in the tunnel. I doubt even a 9" motor would fit without this modification and I want the power of the 13"