View Single Post
Old 01-11-2013, 04:32 PM   #5953 (permalink)
type2teach
EcoModding Lurker

500 mostly trouble free EV miles under my belt now! I'm slowly replacing my old 6v lead acids with new ones, so I'm running my '79 VW bus @ 108v, not the 120v I am usually (I have two batteries that need to be replaced that I currently do not have wired into the main pack).
Van runs fine in and around Philadelphia. I drove approx 15 miles the other day- nothing special, just the usual- parked it for the night and charged the batteries. The next day I backed it out of the garage and then when I went to drive off, the van just lost complete power. I quickly turned the pack off, but didnt' smell smoke or hear any kind of POP or anything. So I turned the main pack back on and went in reverse. No problem. I put it in 2nd again and the van started to go forward, but then quickly lost all power. I went in reverse again and once again, she backed right up, but when I stepped on the accelerator and tried to reverse quickly, she lost all power. So I am able to creep around at less than 5mph, but as soon as I try to give her more juice, she just shuts down.
No, the e brake isn't on, and no, I don't have any sort of reversing contactor, just a manual gearbox. As far as I can tell, NOTHING had changed from the night before when she was running perfectly.
I monitor the volts on every 2 batteries, and they all are reading fully charged.
I also monitor the battery amps and that is within the range of normal. The amps even increase as I step on the accelerator, but the van refuses to move.
Everything points to the revolt controller (or maybe the motor?), which is why I posted in this forum.
Before you respond, please be aware that I am a GEARhead, not an electrical engineer and dumb your answers down accordingly. I have the RTD explorer software that happily talks with the controller and I basically know how to use it. I have hooked it up and it *looks* like everything is functioning properly as I step on the accelerator. The lines go up and down in accordance with my foot moving on the accelerator, but there are no flatlines or anything that happens when I accelerate more than the controller wants and shuts down. It keeps reading the same as if I were still accelerating.
Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance.
Joel in Philly