View Single Post
Old 01-11-2013, 09:51 PM   #12 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Got my 2009 Suzuki TU250 for $2300 with 2800 miles last summer. Fuel injected with a cat and oxygen sensor. I rode bikes 816 miles last January in eastern Virginia. While it is certainly not as severe weather as many on this forum, my limits are 40 degrees and daylight. I did get caught in some rain today, which I generally try to avoid on the bike.

Compared to my Fiesta I can drive the same weekday trips, around 200 miles on the bike and save $400 a year in fuel compared to the Fiesta at 45 MPG versus 89 MPG, so the payback period is fairly long.
Today I had my worst tank ever on this bike, $8.25 for 207.3 miles, just over 80 MPG. Best tank on the bike was 98 MPG.

My pickup truck got 31.5 MPG on it's last tank. If I need to haul something the truck is the trick. The car is for me and the wife when we go out in the evening or on weekends.
Miles I put on the bike are miles not put on the Fiesta. The Fiesta has just over 14k miles and it was built in November 2010 so it will last me a very long time, by not being my only form of transportation.

The bike is fun, the truck is practical, the Fiesta is the car my wife will drive if hers is inoperable for any reason.

I also have 4 other bikes in my garage, I seem to accumulate them when they are in a bad state of neglect, and nurse them back to good operating condition. 3 of the bikes are antiques and have permanent tags, no taxes, and insurance is less than $100 a year each.

regards
Mech