View Single Post
Old 01-11-2013, 10:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
ever_green
Master EcoModder

gueff - '19 Mercedes Benz A250 4MATIC AMG
90 day: 30.55 mpg (US)
turbo Acura RDX project

Driving a 4000lbs 2007 acura rdx i can maybe do 18-19mpg if i'm lucky in the city (15 mile trip, light traffic). i have hooked up my scangauge to the rdx to monitor engine load for best acceleration. i noticed that if i use 80% engine load like i used to on the subaru the car moves really fast and the boost hits 14psi (max boost) at 2500rpm. Now this seems to be a bit extreme but then again doesn't boost improve BSFC at low rpms (eliminates vacuum and pumping loss)? but i have also learned that the car runs rich anytime the turbo is working. i tried driving to work offboost once but that did not work well, i got about 17mpg on that trip which was my worst. So i have no clue how to accelerate with this car during pulse & glide. also the onboard computer has a torque meter that shows how much torque is being sent to the wheels using bars like on a cellphone. i'm guessing this is engine load too? i can maybe get rid of the scangauge because i have no good place to mount it on this car.

i also have a couple mods in mind. i'm thinking of a front mount intercooler to reduce turbo heat and insulation pad for under the hood (keep engine temps up in winter). I am also thinking of high flow cat/exhaust to reduce any restrictions that turbo cars don't like.