View Single Post
Old 01-12-2013, 01:04 AM   #14 (permalink)
christofoo
Master EcoModder

00C - '00 Toyota Corolla
90 day: 43.54 mpg (US)
Everytime I notice this conversation I got to repost this:

'MythBusters' asks: Are motorcycles greener than cars? - latimes.com

Quote:
Motorcycles were indeed more fuel-efficient than cars and emitted less of the greenhouse gas carbon dioxide, but they emitted far more smog-forming hydrocarbons and oxides of nitrogen, as well as the toxic air pollutant carbon monoxide. For the most recent model year vehicles tested -- from the '00s -- the motorcycle used 28% less fuel than the comparable decade car and emitted 30% fewer carbon dioxide emissions, but it emitted 416% more hydrocarbons, 3,220% more oxides of nitrogen and 8,065% more carbon monoxide.
Now, there are parts of the world where smog is of little concern, like Seattle. Small displacements bikes maybe make sense if you keep them in the rainy zones (enjoy) or away from smoggy cities elsewhere.

I live in an area where smog is a big deal and little ICE's sans emission controls of all kinds (bikes, mowers, blowers) are no-no's in my book, environmentally speaking.

I'm not sure which of them are which, but I understand there are such things as (newer) ICE motorcycles that include little cats and O2 sensors and fuel injection. Find one of those, and you might be doing as good as my ECOrolla89, (edit) which is 24 years old, which I paid $1,100 for in 2005.

Last edited by christofoo; 01-12-2013 at 01:38 AM.. Reason: chronic edititis