View Single Post
Old 06-15-2008, 08:58 PM   #45 (permalink)
3wheeled
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keen View Post
This sounds like the same conclusion that I reached. In theory and in my head it seems like a fine Idea. In practice it is much messier. I ran into the same problem with the foam stinking to the tape, as well as the foam not holding the shape of the cavity. Lots of warping, twisting, and shrinking. Maybe something like pour foam would work better??? Anyone with experience in this? Three wheel man? Did you used any of the can stuff or all the two part mixing stuff?
In other news I just got a 48mpg tank w00t. Although I don't have those fog light openings (4dr) .
I have only used the board stock foam with the spray foam as glue. Sometimes we used the spray foam to fill small holes but I never really like doing that because the foam expands a lot and then becomes less dense - sort of spongy. Spongy foam is hard to shape. The board foam is really easy to shape. sand paper or a sandpaper block works great. The spray foam that I used was the red cap type. There is also a blue cap that might be better I don't know. I don't recall the brand but Home Depot sells it for around $5 a can.

The two-part pour foam looks to me to be much more dense than the spray foam. Maybe that is the same desity as the board stock that I have used. If it is, it would be great to work with.

Just to show you what you can do with board stock look at this pic.
The builder used many layers of board and then shaped it.
http://www.rqriley.com/images/xr3foam2-big.jpg