View Single Post
Old 01-14-2013, 10:42 AM   #73 (permalink)
KamperBob
Recreation Engineer

Black Stallion - '02 Toyota Tundra 4WD xCab

Half Pint - '06 Yamaha XT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000neon View Post
KamperBob: Thank you very much, I had some doubts about where to align the ground plane in a plan view, I had seen some done this way so that's what I followed. Thank you very much, I appreciate the input,

EDIT: Here is the updated overlay, with the ground plane aligned down the centre of the truck, and as KamperBob said, it provides more taper than the previous one. If there is still more tweaking required, let me know, I appreciate the input.

Your plan overlay now reveals the classic pickup aerocap conundrum. Airflow around the cab could attach that soon behind if not for untapered bed width. Imagine a flat tonneau then template shaped cap on that. The resulting shoulder wouldn't support attached flow.

As an exercise use the overlay tool one more time. This time use width at the top of the cab. It's considerably narrower there so the minimum attached form could be even less that that higher elevation above the bed rails.

IMHO that low pressure zone would generate detachment and a vortex that would spoil intended gains of an ideal aerocap. So compromise.

You could design the top the hit that. Blend the rear sides to smoothly meet the bed.

Then make it practical.

It's too bad I lost my shop. That's what I wanted to build. Someday. Maybe.
ECONORAM (02-06-2013), HHOTDI (01-18-2013)