View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013, 08:27 AM   #89 (permalink)
suspectnumber961
EcoModding Alien Observer

highcountryexplorer - '86 Nissan 720 KC 4x4 ST with fiberglass cap
90 day: 21.78 mpg (US)

Elroy - '03 Ford Focus ZX3 w/Zetec DOHC engine
90 day: 32.89 mpg (US)
The great and powerful LaPointe responds.....

"During several periods of my life, I just picked up the phone and ordered drums of any chemical I wanted--totally free. You name it and I have probably tested it. Gasoline for instance contains hundreds of chemicals including about 11% oil. That particular oil is there not to lubricate but to act as a mileage ingredient. Of course the heavy fuel ends or oils do lubricate somewhat but they are also the most difficult components to combust fully. These oils lubricate fuel pumps, pistons, walls, rings, valves and injectors.

But the mileage oil does not have great lube ability because it lacks additives that.exist in ordinary lube oils. Additives do nearly all the work in lubrication. The oil is the carrier. So I add the additive GP-7 to get excellent ring seal and prevent gases and fuel from getting into the crankcase. And to also keep lube oil from entering the chamber where it can cause knocking and smoking.

For 25 years I simply used straight acetone in the gas. Never had a problem but that was before I found the importance of a better ring seal from Bob and Dan Lancaster of Torco fame. By eliminating the wasted fuel from around the rings and pistons with GP-7, we get far better lubrication in the cylinders because crankcase oil is NOT getting contaminated by raw gasoline. Unburned fuel is the greatest source of wear in any piston engine by far. The wear and friction at TDC is 90-percent. Stop that wear any way you can and your engine will last nearly forever. Look at propane engines. They never wear because--there is no gasoline."

So...what does this mean? It means that at the top of the piston where the rings seal the combustion chamber from the rest of the engine...there is a lot of friction and wear. This is due to the nasty products of combustion and to the fact that due to the reciprocal nature of an engine...the pistons spends a good bit of time near the top of it's stroke. Also...most engines are lubed from below...from oil splash off the crank...not from the top.

This results in RING STICTION....an issue that a top lube can help.

If you've ever rebuilt an engine....you will know all about CYLINDER TAPER and the dreaded TOP RIDGE.

Forty-six percent of Americans believe in the creationist view that God created humans in their present form at one time within the last 10,000 years. GALLUP POLL

Last edited by suspectnumber961; 01-16-2013 at 08:37 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to suspectnumber961 For This Useful Post:
Xist (07-15-2015)