View Single Post
Old 06-16-2008, 04:56 AM   #15 (permalink)
gteclass
EcoModding Lurker

Mr. Miragi - '96 Mitsubishi Mirage S
90 day: 27.45 mpg (US)
I am a professional automotive tech and I have experience with several aftermarket obd2 scantools. obd2 does provide fuel pw on most models. Im not sure if the device in question uses it, but it should in order to properly calculate fuel usage. It might however just use rpm and load and mph readings to calculate a rough estimated instant fuel usage figure. The complications of using the pw to calculate the fuel usage are injector latency injector size and fuel pressure. The latency is the ammount of time it takes the injector to open and close when the signal goes to it from the ecu. The injector size is used to calculate the flow rate based on the pressure differential over the injector. The fuel pressure, while on most cars should be between 40 and 45 psi, is variable and most cars, almost all in fact do not have a fuel pressure sensor that could be logged to use it in propper calculations for fuel usage. Some cars run at higher fuel pressure, some lower, making it hard for any aftermarket device to properly work on all vehicles.

Some of the obd2 scan tool type devices i have used are...

Snap-On Solis - Awesome setup, obd0, obd1,obd2,abs,airbags,everything

AutoEnginuity Cable- Again awesome setup, primarily obd2

Tactrix Cable- Unbelievable logging capability, samples roughly 12 times per second when used on obd2 mitsubishis with the evoscan program and uses the factory communication protocols to get data that isnt even supported by obd2

CarChip- great tool for logging and testing intermittant issues