View Single Post
Old 01-17-2013, 04:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
wmjinman
Master EcoModder

Jimmy - '00 GMC Jimmy SLT
90 day: 21.18 mpg (US)

The White Gnat - '99 Suzuki Swift
Team Suzuki
90 day: 51.87 mpg (US)
Just got a call from the mechanic; compression test complete.... 115 psi in the #1 & #2 cylinders, zero in the #3 & #4 cylinders. So I had him go ahead & take the head off to take to the machine shop. When he got it off, he called again; 2 exhaust valves burned so bad they were cracked. One each on the #3 and #4 cylinders. I guess this is a 16 valve engine - 4 valves per cylinder. Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

He says the cylinders look fine, though; no scratches or "lip" at the top of piston travel.

Also, both outer CV joints are gone, so he's gonna replace the half shafts while he's at it - and then fix that rear wheel alignment, too. The White Gnat will be almost "like new" (mechnaically) when I get it back. I may have to file for bankruptcy, but that's another story....

One last note here: I filled it up & posted mileage right before taking it into the mechanic - 24.91 MPG on the super-sick engine. Just looked on the list here in % over EPA and am proud to report I'm second to LAST - 440th out of 441!!! HAH!! 28.826% BELOW EPA. Nowhere to go but "up" now, huh? Now, where's that thread I saw on "who's the WORST ecomoders on this site?" I think I have a contender!! LOL!!!

Last edited by wmjinman; 01-24-2013 at 10:35 PM..