View Single Post
Old 01-17-2013, 11:17 PM   #139 (permalink)
ECONORAM
halos.com

ECONORAM - '07 Dodge RAM 1500 QC SLT flex-fuel
90 day: 18.16 mpg (US)

the Avenger - '08 Dodge Avenger SXT
90 day: 27.06 mpg (US)
Send a message via Yahoo to ECONORAM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepherd777 View Post
Cummins finally shipped me the new pre-programmed ECM, and I installed it last week. It works great.

We loaded in Connecticut last Wednesday night, delivered in Tracy, California yesterday, and Hillsboro, Oregon this morning.

We hit 35mph 3/4 headwinds all the way through Wyoming, and 40mph crosswinds through Utah. And then there was that rocky-mountain-thingy part. So the mpg went down a little.

But we still went coast to coast at 13.4 mpg.

We had a load of Stanley automatic aluminum doors, like the type that one walks through at the front of a Home Depot. So this was a light load at 10,000 lbs.

Here are a couple of pics. The first one here is just like it says. From Gary, Indiana to Cheyenne, Wyoming. As you can see from the center top box, we are moving at 55mph.

I usually know how to spell Cheyenne when I'm not that sleepy.

Upper left corner is time. 3:04 in the afternoon.

We are doing 14.2 instant mpg at 17% engine load which means we are climbing. Level straight no-grade we would be doing 10% engine load and 17.5-18mpg.

The three numbers on the lower right mean 950.5 miles since I re-set the readout in Gary, Indiana. We used 67.4 gallons of fuel. Which came out to 14.1 mpg. We also averaged 14.1 from Connecticut to Gary.

Here is right after we got unloaded in Tracy, CA. I took this pic while still backed into the loading dock. As you can see, we went 3043.0 miles coast to coast. The lower right
2117.9 miles is the distance to where I re-set the display in Gary, IN. So for that 2117.9 miles we used 157.8 gallons of diesel fuel for 13.4 mpg.

Sorry for the poor quality of this pic. I have no idea what the white spots on the bottom of the display panel are. Dust reflections??

National average for Class 8 trucks is currently 6.5 mpg.

skyking - We're down at Jubitz in Portland, but I'm not sure which way we are going from here. If we do head up to Seattle, I'll let you know beforehand, if I have the time.
Nuts. And I thought I was doing good by finally making 500 miles on one tank! Good work Shepherd!! The tractor looks great. To be honest, I was expecting the rig to get at least 13mpg; quite impressive to achieve double the typical fuel mileage!
Maybe on the next model, an adjustable nose piece to raise and lower might be beneficial? Or maybe some height adjustable fairings like my truck has in front of the front tires...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroJim View Post
sheperd777- That's how I feel. I'm only 16, but besides playing professional baseball, my life's dream would be to open up a manufacturing plant that makes affordable efficient cars. Unfortunately, I don't have millions of dollars sitting around to do that so I have to hope for an investor. It would be really cool if you could get these into production. Not only is there a direct affect of saving gas, but this could completely change the economy by dropping the price of anything that is shipped. Plus, it would help the environment too

Keep up the good work
HydroJim; do not let people tell you that you cannot do it. I've encountered all kinds of nay-sayers with projects I've done in the past, as well as the ECONORAM project truck. I've been working on it for 6 years now. It now gets 25% above EPA, and I'm not done yet. Keep good notes on your ideas, seek others that have similar interests (such as the ecomodder crowd), and keep positive (Bible verses help me with that). You may not achieve exactly what you are after, but when you keep after it you will achieve something worthwhile.