View Single Post
Old 01-18-2013, 07:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
b23
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
10 max- a Metro could haul that!
I live in Arizona and my business needs to have a nice image. I know personally of a few companies that fell flat on their face for neglecting their image. I show up in a Geo Metro and people point and laugh and think this business must not be doing well!

If it were a personal car, or a situation in which image didnt matter, I would be in a Metro in a heartbeat. But here in AZ everyone has trucks, I see at least 10 Ford Rangers everytime I go out (honestly, usually closer to 50, with 9/10 of them being other work trucks). I dont mind a few mpg tradeoff in exchange for having something that makes me seem a little more official, maybe even more relevant? Mind you its not a 2013 Ranger or anything, but these trucks are par for the course for deliveries out here. Plus with the occasional delivery on unpaved roads, a truck is in many ways a must.

Not to mention that while a Metro may haul 10 batteries, I would expect its mpg to suffer a bit, and I may be back at the mpg figure I have with this truck if I put 10 batteries in one of those things. Ive driven a few, and the batteries I have are not just Honda small batteries. I am talking huge RV batteries, 1000+ cranking amps, and over 40 pounds each. 400-500 pounds in a Metro down an unpaved, rocky driveway?

Plus with this truck I have the option of carrying more than 10, it just happens that most deliveries are for 2-3 clients, meaning usually 2-3 batteries. But I service a few dealers, so there are times I may need to carry more. 10 max is not an absolute limit, but is 90% of my deliveries.

Trust me I had considered the econobox route, looked at some del sols and civics, but everyone out here has trucks. Its not a matter of me wanting a truck, its a matter of my business needing one. Out here nothing says professional like a good ol' Ford Ranger

(uploaded pics in prior post)